Root password for all images: mfsroot
All images have mfsbsd.autodhcp set - all network cards are configured for DHCP.
The following kernel modules are included in all ISO's:
acpi (preloaded), ahci (preloaded), ext2fs, geom_mirror, ipmi, ntfs, opensolaris, smbus, snp, zfs
The following packages are included in all ISO's:
cpdup, dmidecode, e2fsprogs, ipmitool, nano, rsync, smartmontools, tmux
The special edition contains a special distribution file and the zfsinstall script.
You can easily install ZFS-on-root FreeBSD with this script.
Example: zfsinstall -d /dev/ad0 -t /cdrom/8.2-RELEASE-amd64.tar.xz -s 4G
This will install a GPT partition table and ZFS on /dev/ad0, including a 4 GB GPT freebsd-swap partiton.
FreeBSD 7 or higher installed, tested on i386 or amd64
Base and kernel from a FreeBSD 7 or 8 distribution
(release or snapshots, e.g mounted CDROM disc1 or ISO file)
For custom solutions: make buildworld / buildkernel
mkisofs from sysutils/cdrtools (optional) to create ISO images
- read hints in the sample configuration files in the conf/ directory,
- copy these files to files without .sample ending
- make modifications to suit your needs
If you want any packages installed, copy the .tbz files that should be
automatically installed into the packages/ directory WARNING: Your image should not exceed 45MB in total, otherwise kernel panic
may occur on boot-time.
Run the make command:
- to create a bootable image: make BASE=/path/to/distribution
- to create a bootable ISO: make iso BASE=/path/to/distribution
- to cleanup: make clean
- example: make BASE=/cdrom/8.2-RELEASE